A feeling of acceptance and belonging is an important part of a high performance culture.
Individuals who feel like they belong, gain security. This sense of security then nurtures self-esteem. Maslow, when writing about the Hierarchy of Needs, believed that most of society's social problems stemmed from this basic need (for belonging) not being met.
Everyone needs to belong to a group that accepts them. This group can take the form of the family, peers, school work, sporting team, church etc.
The climate (culture) of the organization (be it family or business) to which you belong may have either a sense of hostility and fear ... or a sense of support and goodwill. This culture doesn't happen by accident. It is a product of the behaviors, values and attitudes that are modeled and accepted.
Help Your People To Feel They Belong by:
- Not accepting put downs in any form - especially negative self-talk
- Modeling, and expecting, only respect all the time
- No competing for rewards - tangible (money, gifts) and intangible (status, privileges)
- Valuing diversity - differences are what make a community stronger
- Providing opportunities to discover the interests, capabilities and backgrounds of each individual
- Promoting inclusion and acceptance - not allowing cliques and sub-cultures to develop
- Encouraging inter-relationships and interdependence that promote co-operation
- Avoiding comparisons between people
- Allowing people freedom to control their destiny and be involved in contributing to the success of the organization i.e.no command and control
In this video Brene Brown speaks about Vulnerability. As she so eloquently explains - we all want to be accepted and feel we belong and we are unwilling to show to the world how vulnerable we feel. Be warned ... Life-enhancing information within :)
Leave A Comment
Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.